The Daily Colonist, December 9, 1914
« previous next »
#dailycolonist1914 - News out of Victoria, British Columbia, 100 years ago today:
- Suspected spies escape from Ottawa to the United States
- Noticed receive that aviator Earl Annelsley of County Down [North] Ireland, who had been missing in action for just over a month, was shot down and killed by Germans over Ostend.
- Canada to produce a large volume of munitions for Allied Countries
- Conflicting reports of Russian actions near Lodz, central Poland. Russians are claiming a strategic retreat rather than a loss.
- Japanese have announced they will not be turning captured German territory in China over to China and will maintain military occupation of captured German islands in the Pacific [events that are significant in the build-up to WWII]
- Army base a Petewawa is being converted to a concentration camp for enemy aliens, who will be put to work clearing brush and building roads.