The Daily Colonist, December 1, 1914
« previous next »
#dailycolonist1914 - News out of Victoria, British Columbia, 100 years ago today:
- King George braves a stormy crossing of the Channel to visit the general headquarters of the British expeditionary force
- German troops being massed near Ypres [this is the beginning of the build-up to the Second Battle of Ypres, which will happen at the end of April 1915, where the Germans will first deploy chlorine gas and the Canadians will hold their position and become the first colonial force to beat a European power on European soil.]
- 38 men born in Germany and Austria who signed up and went overseas to fight for Canada and the British Empire are sent back to be interned for not having Canadian citizenship.
- Meanwhile, in the ancestral home of my paternal ancestors, Russian forces have penetrated the Carpathian Mountains in Galacia.
- A Canadian aviation corps is formed with 12 aeroplanes. 469 men have applied to be trained.