The news out of Victoria 100 years ago today:
- Talks between Russia and Germany are at an impasse
- Russia is massing troops on the Austrian border to aid Serbia
- Germany is preparing to back up Austria
- Austria is shelling Belgrade
- Serbians are blowing up their own bridges to slow down the Austrians
- Fighting in the Mexican Revolution of 1910 continues [and will continue for another three years]
- And most interesting on a personal note, a not-so-distant relative of Nicholas Goethals, Colonel George Washington Goethals, prepares to make the first end-to-end test of the Panama Canal, pending its official opening August 15.